- Internet is a huge collection of computer networks that can be communicated with each other.
- This word is coined from the word ‘interconnection’ and ‘network’.
- Through this, each computer user can communicate and share common resources with other users.
WORLD WIDE WEB (WWW)
- WWW is a vast collection of documents stored on internet computers.
- It was invented by Tim-Burner-Lee.
- It provides easy access to information.
- It is a system of media rich documents spread across the internet, linked with each other through related topics.
- WWW documents contain texts, pictures, sound, video, etc.
Web Sever : It is a programme and a computer clubbed into one entity which responds to the requests from web browsers for internet resources.Eg:- Yahoo, Google.
Web Browser : It is a programme that allows a user to display and interact with a ‘hyper text’ documents.Eg:- Internet explorer, Net Scape navigator.
Home Page : Home page is the first hypertext document to be shown when a user follows a link to the web server.
Search engines: Special tool to search for information on the net.Eg:- AltaVista, Yahoo, Google.
Website : A collection of related pages on particular information.
Web Page : It is a file of information stored on a web server.
INTERNET EDUCATION (USES)
- Internet education provides the following.
- Distribution of information.
- Dissemination of information.
- Need based instruction.
- E-mail system.
- Surfing facilities (checking out the sites on the web).
- E-commerce (Buying and selling over the net).
Thus, Internet education,
- Increases the efficiency,
- Effectiveness and
INTERNET AS MASS MEDIA
- Internet (International Network) is a means of communication for the masses.
- It follows all the elements of mass media.
- The size of the audience of internet is enormous like any other mass media.
- It is focused on the public people and their needs and interest.
- It helps the industrial world by providing information regarding market conditions.
- It also provides matrimonial pages and services.
- It communicates the latest development in different fields.
- In short, it provides information to various age groups, educational groups and economic groups.
The content of the material downloaded from the internet may be of three types.
1 .Entertainment; like music, movie, etc.
2. Information ; on art, science, trade, etc.
3. Orientation ; to public events, issues, etc.
- E-mail implies electronic mail.
- User must have a personal address (e-mail account).
- There are various sites free of cost.
E.g.:- Yahoo.com, hotmail.com
How to have an e-mail account in Yahoo.com?
- Open the browser.
- Go to the site by typing on the location.
- Click on e-mail link.
- Click on ‘sign-up here’ button.
- An acceptance form will be displayed; go through it and click on ‘I accept’ button.
- If you accept, an entry form will be displayed.
- Enter all information.
- After filling up all the information, click on ‘submit this form’ button.
- If everything is correct, ‘Yahoo will welcome and congratulate you.
How to handle incoming e-mails?
- Open the browser
- Go to the site.
- Click on e-mail button.
- Enter your e-mail address and password.
- Click on ‘sign in’ or press ‘enter’ button.
- Various buttons like compose, send, forward, reply will be displayed.
- To see the e-mail, click on ‘inbox’.
- Mail can be read by double clicking on that mail.
- If you want to send an e-mail, click on compose button; enter ‘To address’.
- Write the matter and click on ‘send’ button.
- If you want to reply, click on reply button; write the matter and click on ‘send’ button.
- If you want to forward the e-mail to someone, click on forward button; write ‘to address’, and click on ‘send’ button.
DISTANCE EDUCATION VIA INTERNET
- In August 1997, Department of Computer Science at James Madison University (James Madison University (also known as JMU, Madison, or James Madison) is a public coeducational research university located in Harrisonburg, Virginia, U.S. Founded in 1908 as the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg, the university has undergone four name changes before settling with James Madison University) started a remote master programme with a concentration in information security.
- This programme paved the way for distance education via internet.
- Programmes are almost ‘Lecture less’.
- Instructor meets the students only twice.
- Just for introducing the course and For wrap up of the course and examination.
- The remaining sessions are via internet with heavy emphasis on the use of e-mail.
- Students access all the information through a website which contains the course description and the activities that the students need to perform.
- Students can communicate with the instructor via telephone, fax or by any other means to clarify their doubts.
On Line Teaching.
- The interactive web based teaching is known as on line teaching.
- The materials for online teaching contain teaching, reviewing and testing components and can be delivered through website or from a central location.
- This approach requires a modem, standard communication software and online information service account with an internet service provider.
Benefits of Online Teaching.
- Reduces learning time.
- Reduces cost.
- Provides instructional consistency (not forgetting key points).
- Provides privacy.
- It ensures mastery of learning.
- Increases retention power.
- Increases motivation.
- Increases the safety.
- Increases accessibility.
INTERACTIVE DISTANCE LEARNING OVER THE INTRNET
- Interactive distance learning provides learning through interaction from a remote distance.
- Initially, the students attend large group instruction together.
- Then disperses into groups of 15 for the small group portion and discussion.
- A Small Group Instructor (SGI) is assigned to each group. He will guide them properly.
- This small group analyses the text and tools themselves and produces new things by interacting with the text; then submits to the SGI.
- SGI reviews and grades the product submitted by a particular group over the internet.
- If satisfied with the terms and conditions, they can move to the next phase.
Steps of interactive Distance Learning
- Analysis of the text and tools.
- Development of course of action.
- Analysis and comparison of course of action by SGI for grading.
‘Interactive multimedia is a computer delivered electronic system that allows the user to control, combine, and manipulate different types of media such as text, sound, video, graphics and animations’.
E.g.:- Most of the Games.
E.g.:- Most of the Games.
The user is required to activate, manipulate and respond to the presentation of instructional material.
The development of an interactive multimedia project involves three phases.
1. Development of the information design.
2. Development of interaction design; and
3. Development of the final presentation design.
- The last product should be reviewed for better results.
· Multimedia presentation in which audience just watch the show as it proceeds from the beginning to the end in a sequential manner is known as non-interactive multimedia.
Desktop Video Conferencing
- It is a technique which uses computer mediated communication (CMC) to combine distance education and face to face instruction.
- It offers online courses using computer mediated communication (CMC).
- CMC happens in four ways;
1. One- alone techniques (E.g.:-Information from e- books, e- journals).
2. One-to-one techniques (E.g.:-From e-mail)
3. One-to-many techniques (E.g.:- Information from bulletin boards)
4. Many-to-many techniques (E.:- Interaction with project group through video conferences).
These techniques facilitate three types of interaction.
1. Learner-content interaction.
2. Learner-instructor interaction.
3. Learner-learner interaction.
Desktop video conferencing can be used in various on-line courses.
Interactive Technical Documentation
- Technical documentation means the documentation through computers.
- I t is an alternative way to keep huge volume of paper documents.
- It allows to access large amounts of textual and visual data in an associative fashion.
- Interactive technical documentation provides high degree of interactivity by using multimedia system.